Thursday, January 21, 2010

And reality set in....

So a friend from church was asking if anyone would like to join a running group. I thought "hey I have been wanting to get into running, I'm gonna join!".

In my imagination I saw myself being able to run long distance and keep up with the other "girls" with no problems. I was so pumped for the night that I was going to start. I headed out of the house to get there early (mainly due to the fact that I HATE HATE HATE being late for anything), and I was so excited to show my stuff....

After a change of location, and a couple of walking laps around the loop, I was already feeling it. I decided to put on my big girl panties and run anyways. Reality set in within a short distance when my lungs felt like they were going to leap out of my chest. I pushed my self to keep going. It got to a point where I just couldn't run anymore, I had to walk.

I thought I must have gone a considerable distance, even if it wasn't half way around the track. I looked behind me and saw just how far I went. Boy was I disappointed. I hadn't gone far at all.

I have to say I was more disappointed in the fact that I had let myself get so out of shape than anything else. I realised that I haven't run since I was in 9th grade, that was.... a while ago. I cant believe that I would let myself be so lazy, and give up on myself as much as I have, to get to this point.

I decided that I better put my big girl panties on and keep going the 3 nights a week we had decided on. One of these days I will get to see those things I was imagining, it will just take a while and lots of work. But this time I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP! I am going to keep doing it, because I want to better myself and live a healthier lifestyle. I don't want all the health problems that so many of my family members have from being overweight.

I WILL DO THIS BECAUSE I AM WORTH IT!!!

I am so thankful to you Sisters (you know who you are) that kept pushing me last night. I did get farther than the time before and my lungs weren't hurting nearly as much when I got home. You guys are Angels!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I SO know what you mean! I wish I was able to go run with you guys, that way we could be slow together :) It'll get easier every time though!(after the knee pain and shin splints go away of course)Good for you for sticking with it! A lot of people would just give up.