Thursday, June 24, 2010

wow, has it really been that long?

So I realized earlier that as of today, I have been in the Phoenix valley for 6 years. Holy Cow has time past.

I clearly remember the flight out here (my first time on an airplane) and the rest of that day. I was terrified that the plane was going to crash, I had never been so far away from my parents, I didn't have a car (so how was I supposed to get around?), I didn't really know anyone out here (I had talked to my roommate J a few times on the phone and met once), and because of all this I was feeling sick to my stomach. I just wanted to turn back and stay in my comfort zone. I remember that they served cinnamon sugar graham crackers and I had sprite to drink. I remember trying to carry 2 heavy loaded duffel bags through the airport, thank goodness for the wheels on one of them and the wonderful older trolley man that let me put my bags on the trolley after he saw me struggling. I remember that as soon as I walked out of the airport I felt like I was going to melt, 113 degrees that day if I remember correctly. I remember not being able to eat for 3 full days. Yeah I said 3, amazing how nerves can make me so sick. I remember getting so lost on my way from the airport to the school, and then from the school to my apartment. I am glad that roommate C had a car, could get us from place to place, and knew where in the heck she was going, because I sure didn't. I am also grateful that she was willing to take me places.

Its amazing what has happened since that day 6 years ago. I have an associates degree for medical assisting (cant remember exactly what its called, some kind of medical science mumbo jumbo). I have made many new friends. I found independence, and through doing so found ME. I came closer to my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ, for they were the only thing I could rely on some days. I found the love of my life, and was able to get married in the temple. I now have 2 children. I have a place to call my own (love having a house). And I am happier than I ever imagined possible.

Who could have guessed that the decision to come out here for school would have amounted to so many other great things happening in my life? I wouldn't have.

I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father, who helped me deal with my nerves, kept the plane in the air (yes, I was seriously that afraid it would crash), gave me the courage to stay (even when I felt like buying a ticket home many times) and has now blessed me with all these wonderful people and things in my life. All I can say is.... although it's hard at times, I am blessed and I love my life!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets sick from nerves.