Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Garden 2011

After helping to plan the Relief Society meeting night, all about Gardening, and then reading an article in the April 2011 Ensign about gardening; I felt impressed that we needed to try our hand at gardening again.

We tried making a garden shortly after moving in the house but it pretty much died the day we planted it. We didn't realize just how horrible the soil is out here and that we needed to mix a bunch of stuff in it to be able to have a chance of a garden growing.

So needless to say, we did alot of research, and planned much more than last time.

We decided to try an above ground approach (although I have already realized there was more we needed to do to avoid weeds and such). We bought soil from a local nursery that gives you a GREAT deal for as much as you get. We also decided to plant it in a place that doesn't get a bunch of direct sunlight so that it wont burn.

We planted summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, and a green bell pepper plant. We also planted from seed some peas, carrots, and romaine lettuce.

Yesterday when R went out to water, he saw some promising signs in the Garden.
<- this is a picture of one of the pea plants, the seeds sprouted! So far 2 of the 3 are out of the ground. I took some pictures of the carrot and lettuce sprouts, but they are still too small to show up well on the pictures. So I guess you will just have to take my word for it that we have some of those coming up too.

We still need to get something to shade the garden, although it gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight, the plants get really wilty and sad looking during that time. With the weather getting hotter and going to be getting even worse, shade is a necessity. I also want to get a trellis or something of the sort to let the squash, zucchini, cucumber, tomato, and pea plants grow up on instead of through the rest of the garden.

I am supper excited that this is working so far, the real test will be keeping it alive through the summer and after having the baby. I really want to keep it growing and hope to test out a new way of gardening we learned about at the Relief Society meeting night later this fall.


No comments: