I went to a pediatrician yesterday for C and thought that it was going to be a normal appointment, get weighed, answer some questions about how he is doing, a possible shot, and then leave. That's not how it went though....
We had the normal weigh in, wait for the Doctor, and then he came in. He asked if I had any concerns about C.
I told him not really, he's happy, he seems to be doing things that he's supposed to be doing compared to the ways A and G developed, he's eating alot, he's happy all the time.
Then the Dr asked me about the things he's been doing, is he sitting up on his own yet? No but A wasn't at this age either. Is he picking things up with his index finger and thumb (pincher reflex)? Yes. He pulled out a cotton ball for C to pick up just to make sure.
Then he asked me if I knew about his weight? Well, I know he's skinny, but all of our kids have been skinny. Did I know that he is less than the 5 percentile for his age? No. At the last well child check the Dr did say he was just over the 5% but nothing else. He then told me that its a danger zone for kids to be that skinny. Well DUH! I had to wonder, why hadn't the other Dr said anything to me?--- just a side note, he's been seeing another Dr that has a closer office, but after calling for appointments for G a few weeks ago for pink eye just to find out she was triple booked for a few days, and then to schedule this appointment and being told she couldn't see him till almost the end of the month I decided to change to a new Dr.--- Then we went over how much I'm feeding him, how often I'm feeding him, what I'm feeding him. All making me feel like I may to be to blame for his weight. He is eating ALOT when I feed him, he's eating 8-10 times a day, 2-3 of those feedings with baby food. How much is he eating when he gets formula or when I nurse? He rarely gets formula and how am I supposed to know how much hes getting when he nurses?
I was told to start feeding him beef, put some in his meals at every meal pretty much. He needs the iron and fat. Ok, I can do that.
Then he started the exam, Oh look, he has extra fingers and toes! Is this common? Ummm, yeah I was born with it, and his brother and sister were too. Then he tells me with poor weight gain, developmental delays, and the polydactyly all combined, 3 red flags as he calls them. There might be something wrong.
My heart dropped.
What is wrong with my baby? Why didn't Dr Powell say anything to me? Could it be my fault? maybe I'm not feeding him enough, but why hasn't he gained much weight sine he was 2 months old? It cant be because of me trying to loose weight, because that only started 2 months or so ago, not 7...
So then we needed to go in for some blood tests. And make appointments with a geneticist and endocrinologist. Just to make sure he says...
So after picking A up from school, and a quick bite for lunch for the kids and I (at which I fed C a hamburger patty with people looking at me like I'm a bad mom for feeding this to my baby), we went to the lab to have his blood drawn.
I was worried about how he'd do and had an hour of waiting for him to be called back to worry more, while I stopped A and G fighting like 100 times. They called us back and there are two people going to be doing it, one who has had experience drawing blood on infants the other, not so much... yay my baby is her training baby! (read that with lots and lots of sarcasm) And to make this pat of the story short, they ended up getting the blood, but while bursting the vein in both arms, getting blood on the chair, their hands, and my pants, and totally freaking A out with all the blood.
Also I've had some experience with drawing blood in college, his blood didn't look the bright red color its supposed to it was darker closer to a brown.
After getting home R gave C a blessing and in it he was told that all will work out, that he's being watched over, and that he is a special child. Later on R gave me a blessing too and it brought alot of comfort. I know with out a doubt that there are angels watching over this little boy! Although it worries me that he was told that so many times, I know that is what he needs, and why he is so happy.
We should have the results back next week (hopefully) from the blood tests and we will be seeing the endocrinologist April 2nd, I need to get some paperwork filled out and some medical information release documents to the Dr's that have seen him so that we can get an appointment scheduled with the geneticist.
I really hope its just going to be something easy to fix, medicines, change of diet, something like that. I guess we will find out next week, or at least I hope so...
So if any of you readers could pray for him, and for the doctors to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it, Our family would greatly appreciate it!
Front of the House
12 years ago









1 comment:
Heather, you are breaking my heart! You did not do anything wrong. You are the best mom ever! I know Heavenly Father is watching over you family and He knows what is best. We are praying that you will be guided to the right doctor who can do the right test and tell you what is wrong. We love you so much! Mom Hurst
Post a Comment