Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thankful for Tender Mercies

After a long rough day with children all I felt done. Done with kids. Done with housework that I can't get done. Done with fighting, screaming, yelling, hitting, and pushing. R was going to be late coming home from work. We were out of milk and all the easy dinners required it. I was in no mood to make a more complex meal, nor would the kids let me, I am sure. All I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and stay there until the kids grew up.

Don't get me wrong. I love them to death, and I am excited to watch them grow up, but this terrible twos thing is kicking my rear. Some days I just wish that we could skip this stage, especially since A is still in it (and getting worse by the day it seems), and G has just started it.

After too many close calls of being close to tears I was at my wits end. Then thankfully R called me to tell me he was on his way from work. Followed by more screaming and fighting children who didn't like the dinner that I was making them. I was so relieved to see R come through the door when he got home.

After talking for a few minutes R decided that I needed a chance to get out of the house. So I left to go get some milk. While at the grocery store I wandered around for a while... not a good thing for me to do while I am upset. I am a major emotional eater, and with trying to loose weight... well lets just say there are lots of things that tempted me. I was good though, I didn't put anything bad in the cart... until I called R and he asked for some Flamin' Hot Cheetos and some Ice Cream. Which I am sad to say I bought, for as I write this I am eating some of those yummy Cheetos with some sour cream and milk (so bad for me, I know, but at least I haven't touched the ice cream).

Leaving the store I was still feeling pretty frustrated. The fact that it was raining made me a bit happier (for those of you not in the area, that is a rare thing out here where I live during the summer). As I am driving home I see a near blinding light to my right. The Sun had come out from behind the clouds to make an amazing sunset. Then I look to my left and there is a beautiful rainbow. Above me it is raining, something that I love. And then to top it off there was a song that came on the radio, Just another day in paradise (or I think that is the name). All that added together started to make me cry yet again... for the umpteenth time today.

I honestly believe that it was a tender mercy that I was able to see those things, and then hear a song about how things can go wrong but how your life can be paradise despite it all. And who needs all those tempting foods when you can see a beautiful sight like that to make you feel better.

I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who sends me things, just as I need them to make my life brighter, even if for a second. Things like this let me know that I'm not alone, that I have someone who know exactly how I am feeling at the moment and knows exactly how to make me feel better.

1 comment:

Christine Winward said...

You are such an amazing wife and mother. I think we all have those crazy days. I know we've had sandwiches or cold cereal for dinner many nights followed by me exiting as soon as Daddy has come home. We all need some breathing space. I'm so proud of you for not succumbing to the ice cream! That's usually my first outlet:) I'm so glad that you had a beautiful ending to a trying day. Next time, feel free to call me to rant. 5-6 PM is always chaos at my house and if it makes you feel better, you can always call and listen to my kids scream and fight and know you're not alone:) Love you!